With frequent use of anything, there often comes a point of defect and repair. Same is the case with living in a house. Out of all the major home repairs, roof replacement in Sydney is of an utmost importance, in case your old roof is witnessed to be failing, allowing water to pour in and destroy the walls and inside of your house.
Basic roofing materials
The roofing materials are chosen based on your preference, your locality, and personal taste. For instance, metal roofing is often required in some regions due to its fire resistance, while other areas experience tiled roofing. Along with these, some common roofing materials available in the market are as follows:
- Asphalt composition shingles; although these are cheap and easily available, the aesthetic appearance is not very pleasant due to the flat appearance. Even so, it is still a popular material for replacing roofs.
- Wood shakes or shingles; although costly, but these are attractive materials. Durability is great, but these are usually not suitable in areas of fire danger.
- Metal roofs; as mentioned above, metal roofs are common for being fire resistant. These are expensive roofs that require specialty contractors for installation, but they may be cost-effective over the long run due to their long life and durability.
- Slate roofing; this is considered to be a highly attractive, high-end roofing option. The cost at the same time is high, along with heavy weight.
- Composition slate; these are basically synthetic tiles, made mostly from recycled materials, such as, rubber. Famous for being light in weight and less susceptible to damage.
- Clay or ceramic tile; the most common red tile roof is still seen in most houses. This type of shingle is called the half-barrel because it is essentially a cylinder cut in half length-wise, roughly 16 inches long.
Understanding the roofing process
When having roof replacement work done, the common process of roofing should include:
- Removal of all existing shingles and depositing them in a dumpster.
- Making minor repairs on the roof if the condition is moderately good.
- Installing ice dam protection where needed.
- Laying down asphalt roofing paper over the roof sheathing, to prevent water from penetration into the house.
- Applying metal drip edging around the edge of the roof.
- Applying the tab shingles, starting at the eaves and working upward toward the peak.
- Applying flash around areas prone to leaks.
- Installing the ridge vents.
- Completing the final cleanup.
Every house needs maintenance, once you start living in it. From minor to major replacements, the house owner needs to be fully aware of the maintenance process, and costs. Among the major replacements that take place in a house, roof replacement is the important one. You should be alarmed when you notice that your roof has started to show signs of degradation or damage. The type of materials selected for roof replacement depends on factors like your locality, budget, personal taste; metal roofing, wood shakes etc.